City of Riverside
CITY OF RIVERSIDE
SALARY: $2,606.77 – $3,492.00 Biweekly
$67,776.00 – $90,792.00 Annua lly
OPENING DATE: 12/28/17
CLOSING DATE: 01/21/18 11:59 PM
The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of Senior Planner to fill one (1) vacancy in the Planning Division of the Community and Economic Development Department. The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for this Department for up to six (6) months.
The Community and Economic Development Department is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual to perform advanced level professional planning work in the Current Planning team. The Senior Planner will be responsible for managing complex development projects and supervising the work of subordinate professional, para-professional, and technical staff in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will be a skilled project manager with a proven ability to foster effective working relationships with members of the community, city personnel, and local/regional agencies. Excellent customer service skills in communicating and providing technical assistance is critical.
**This position is eligible to receive merit based pay of up to 15% above the posted salary range based on documented outstanding
performance and at the discretion of the City Manager.**
***4% COLA effective the first pay period after January 1, 2018***
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Reviews and processes comprehensive plan amendments, re-zonings, annexations, site plans and development applications associated with a project.
- Prepares and/or supervises the preparation of environmental assessments and staff reports related to legislative applications and land use entitlements requiring discretionary approval.
- Makes recommendations on development permits and presents them to the Development Review Committee, Planning Commission, and City Council.
- Review construction and grading plans for compliance with the City’s Municipal Code and, if applicable, project specific conditions of approval.
- Conducts research and prepares statistical reports on land use, social, and economic issues.
- Supervises and provides guidance to junior level planners on the review of development entitlements.
- Supervises and participates in special planning, zoning, and environmental studies.
- Monitors state and federal legislation for changes to planning, environmental, and transportation laws.
- Develops requests for proposals; manages consultant contracts associated with assigned planning projects; develops work programs and
methodologies; oversees consultants’ budgets; and establishes project schedules.
- Reviews and comments on planning proposals of outside jurisdictions that may impact the City.
- Advises and assists City and management officials on community planning issues and problems, pending cases, and application of established
- City policies and ordinances.
- Coordinates planning and development activities with other City departments and outside entities.
- Meets and advises developers, residents, business and property owners regarding development applications and processes.
- Represents the Community & Economic Development Department at public meetings and works with various groups and individuals regarding a variety of planning and zoning matters.
- Coordinates planning related activities with other City departments, divisions, and with outside agencies.
- May supervise, train and evaluate professional, para-professional, technical and clerical personnel.
- Performs field inspections to gather data relevant to the development applications and to verify compliance with approved plans.
- May attend evening and weekend meetings.
- May act as Principal Planner in his/her absence.
Education: Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in planning or a closely related field.
Experience: Three years of professional planning experience.
Education: Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in planning or a closely related field.
Experience: Four years of professional planning experience.
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Professional experience in Current Planning working for a municipality.
- Experience presenting to Planning Commission(s) and City Council.
- AICP Certification from the American Planning Association.
- Possession of a Master’s degree.
For more information about this position and to apply:
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofriversideca →